Saturday, February 27, 2016

Flower in a Pot #3 - Part 2

I love the purple fabric I used in this flower.  It's one of my favorites.  It has all sorts of dots and circles in orange and pink on a purple background.  I often look for batiks that have a few colors to tie together blocks and I know this fabric is going to get used a lot for just that purpose.

I had fun with the greens in this block.  with each layer I added I used darker threads and made the stitch size bigger.

Don't you just love the deep dark purple I added here?  I used most of the warm spectrum for the flower and I am quite happy with the results.  I also really like the bottom green.  It's a really fun batik design.  

Again you can see the size of the size of the stitching on the green growing.  below.  You can also see that I varied the size of the stitching on the flower a lot.  The stitching on the purple batik with orange dots was really small.  I did this on purpose because I wanted to minimize how much it could be seen.

Another view of the greens from the back with the stitching on the top of the pot added.  You can see in the middle of the pink oval how I start and stop when I know I'm going to be adding pieces on top.  I do about 1/4 inch of small straight stitches to lock the threads in place.

Here's the back of the pot complete.

And here's the front!  I love how I used two fabrics that have rings. I think it helps draw your eye from the pot to the flower.  I bought a lot of the batik in the pot but have had a hard time using it because of the extreme change in scale between the small and large size oval rings.  I think it works great in the pot.

The pattern for this block will be available next week. I'd love to see what you're doing with my blocks.  Join my Machine Applique Adventures Facebook Group and share!

Have a great Saturday!  It's supposed to be 55 and nice here in Minnesota.  Great for the first hike of the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment