Monday, April 22, 2019

Splendid Sampler with Just Wanna Quilt

I discovered Just Wanna Quilt when Elizabeth Townsend Gard asked me to be on her podcast.  She is a law professor at Tulane who is studying the quilt world and working on how to explain copyright to us.  There is a book in process.  When she asked if we'd make some blocks from the Splendid Sampler for her, I volunteered.  Here are my two blocks before stitching.  

And after stitching...

I hope you get to quilt today!

Friday, April 19, 2019

Island Batik Ambassadors Ready. Set. Go! Baby Challenge Part 3 - The Quilting

My Island Batik Ambassador's Ready. Set. GO! Challenge Baby Quilt is done!

 See the cutting post and the piecing post.

I of course, cut all the pieces using my amazing Accuquilt GO! Big cutter.  It's amazing how quickly one can cut pieces!

Now on to the quilting!  I like to pick my threads by laying them on the quilt and seeing how they look.  Aurifil threads are my favorite to both piece and to quilt with.

I decided to quilt large feathers in the cream areas because they would really stand out.  

I ended up making a square around the edge with feathers and then doing this feathered wreath in the center square.

Here you can see how one feathered area flows into the next.  It's always nice when quilting is continuous and you don't have to stop and start.

My batting?  Hobbs 80/20 blend.  It's my favorite for quilts because it's light.  Just perfect for a baby quilt.

I love the rings of green diamonds that show up in the quilt.  They're my favorite part.

Thanks to Island Batik, Hobbs, Accuquilt, and Aurifil for all the amazing product I used to make this quilt!  It was such fun.

I hope you get to quilt today!

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Island Batik Ambassadors Ready. Set. Go! Baby Quilt Challenge Part 2 - The Piecing!

After I had a blast cutting out all my pieces for this challenge on my AMAZING Accuquilt Go Big! Cutter it was time to assemble.  

Why the John Deere fabric?  It's flannel on my ironing board.  It keeps my pieces nice and straight while ironing.

One unit complete!

Sister unit Complete!

Half units for the edge

The other half units for the edge

Sisters are sewn together...

I hope you get to quilt today!  Come back Friday for the quilting...

Monday, April 15, 2019

Inspired by Fabric....of course!

The Just Wanna Quilt Quilting Army (AKA Facebook group members) were asked if they'd like to participate in the Green Challenge.  You get either a Kaffe or Tula green print and can do whatever.  My print is from Tula's slow and steady collection.  I picked out some batiks from my stash to coordinate.  I know, prints AND batiks.  But why not?

I then set out with my trusty Accuquilt Go! Qube to cut the pieces for my block.

Stay tuned!

I hope you get to quilt today!

Friday, April 12, 2019

Free Motion Friday - a Sneak Peek

I've been busily working on my upcoming Island Batik Ambassador challenges.  I have some binding still to do, but here's a sneak peek at the quilting.  Happy Friday everyone!

I hope you get to quilt today!

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Island Batik Ambassadors Accuquilt Ready. Set. Go! Challenge - Part 1

My mother has had an Accuquilt Go! Big! Electric Cutter for a long time, so I've had access to it and have been in love with the accuracy and speedy cutting for quite a while.  I was jumping up and down when I found out that a Ready!  Set!  Go! kit was on the way to my house!  

I was able to work with my local dealer and upgrade to the electric cutter due to the tendinitis I continually have problems with. I knew the rolling cutter in the original kit was going to be a challenge and didn't want to set my tendinitis off.  Thank you so much Accuquilt for helping me.  It has been a game changer in my piecing.

Now....the fun begins!  I was playing with the 8 inch Qube that came in my system.  It has eight different dies to help make basic quilt block pieces.  I started with these lovely green diamonds in my favorite Island Batik fabrics of course!

Cutting some four and a half in squares of another green fabric.  I ran out of the first one, so two will do. 

Half square triangles have never been quicker!

This is one of my favorite Island Batik solids.  It's called Blackberry.

Quarter square triangles too!

And now it's time to'll have to come back to check it out. What is the John Deere all about?  It's flannel on my ironing board.  It sticks to those triangles and diamonds so they don't stretch out.  It's fantastic!

 I hope you get to quilt today!

Monday, April 8, 2019

Inspiration...coming soon!

I couldn't help myself....I bought some new dies for my Accuquilt Go! cutter.  Stay tuned to see what I'm up to!

I also snapped this pic from a coloring book.  It's really fun.

I hope you get to quilt today!

Friday, April 5, 2019

Free Motion Friday - Lloyd and Lola Quilting is Done!

Lloyd and Lola are done!  This was a LOT of background quilting.  I used 3.5 of the large size bobbins that go in my Bernina 770QE.  I didn't want to get bored while doing this quilting so I decided to use a variety of motifs to keep changing it up.  Here's how I started.

And then I kept adding...

Until it was all done!  Here's a few shots.

Now it's time to bind it....but it's not mine so Ann will have to do it...hee, hee, hee.  She's fast.  I bet it's already done.

I hope you get to quilt today!