This block is one of my favorites. It's inspiration is from Hungarian Embroidery. One of my favorite sources! I had a lot of fun picking out fabric for this block.
Here is layer one:
And the back:
After looking closely at this block, I realized that with the white fabric underneath there was a shadowing problem with the petals. To solve this problem, I laid a second layer of the fabric on top and then restitched it. Here's what the back looked like afterwards. You really can't tell on the front at all.
Layer Two. It's so cheerful!
And the back. The more solid the fabric the larger blanket stitch size I used.
Layer Three - central petal added.
The back of layer three:
Block complete. Clearly this picture was taken in bad lighting because the background really is a teal color. Adding the final black piece here was a bit of a challenge due to thickness. All of those petals in the main part of the flower are double layered. That meant stitching through a lot of layers for the black piece. I broke the thread a few times. Rayon thread was clearly not a good choice for this piece.
And the back.
I hope you get to quilt today!