Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Floral Kaleidoscope - Part Three

Time to add more pieces!  It's so fun to watch the quilt grow.  You can see below that there is clearly a blue flower missing.  I hit that piece just right on the iron and somehow managed to crinkle it up really well.  While it was still hot I quickly pulled the flower and remaining bits of Steam-a-Seam 2 off the fabric.  I then cut a new piece to replace the ruined one.

All fixed and ready to do some more stitching!

Here is a closeup of the center.  I love the symmetry here.  Aligning all 24 pieces so that it looks symmetrical was a challenge, but one that was definitely worth it in the end.

If you look at the dots on the purple pieces you can see they are all at about the same place on the piece.  I marked the dots on my pattern pieces of Steam-a-seam to make sure they would all be at the same height.

Below you can see a closeup of the stitching and you can also see where my piece of stabilizer was put underneath the two green petals in the bottom of the photograph.

One thing I have been experimenting a lot with lately is using different sizes of blanket stitching.  For this particular quilt I had some trouble keeping the stitching even due to the size of the fabric so I decided to leave them all the same size 2.0 mm wide and 2.0 mm long.

I hope you get to quilt today!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you fussy-cut that blue-purple batik fabric. Gorgeous!