I forgot to engage the walking foot on my Bernina. Oops. In the photo below I didn't have it on and you can see what happened to the fabric. It ripples in some places. In the photo above I did remember to turn it on and the rippling was much less.
Then I decided to fill the open areas at the ends of the quilt with free motion lines. I'm sure this has a name, but I am unsure of what that would be....if you know, please comment! First, I did a line of pebbles to separate and then echoed them once. The I did the straight line fill to finish the area. The taller the straight line fill, the harder it is to keep straight!
Next I decided to try doing the straight line fill in alternating directions so that it looked like chevrons. It went well, but it's hard to know what it's going to look like when it meets up in the center.
Finally I decided the third area was too wide, so I made a row of bubbles down the center and then did the straight line fill on either side of it. The bubbles really show up here with is fun!
Finally I filled the center areas with a curl technique of Angela Walter's. I just watched her "Quilting Negative Space" class on Craftsy and I had to try it out.
Overall, I am really happy with this little quilt I did for Island Batik's Modern Batik Challenge! It was fun and I'm excited to try more modern quilting, It was very freeing.
Now I need to bind it. I must admit that I've been procrastinating on that. I actually have 3 small quilts I need to bind right now. I should get to that. Really I should. Someday soon.
I hope you get to quilt today!