I decided that what I wanted to go outside my comfort zone (symmetrical) and quilt my Snowflake Table Runner in a "windy" pattern. Here's my drawing idea:
I liked it so I sat down to quilt. After stitching around the snowflakes I realized that trying to put those curls in wasn't going to work because my snowflakes were a lot thicker than the original stars I drew. I guess I need to actually work with the pattern when I'm designing...duh.
So I decided to just go for it. I did a second outline and then a third and then filled the space with bubbles to match what I'd done in the center of the snowflakes.
I then decided that to contrast all the curves in the quilt I wanted to use straight lines to finish the borders. If you look at the right corner of the picture above you can see some white lines I drew. I thought I was going to angle off my lines at the corners. But as I got there, I wasn't paying attention and stitched too far without thinking about what came next. oops. So I stitched one straight line all the way across and that was no fun. So I decided that I'd do something else,
I started with some clam shells and then outlined them and then decided that the lines should come in towards the middle. I hated it. Still do. And then my bobbin ran out. It was a sign that I should be done!
So I folded over the ends to see what the table runner would look like if I stopped at that point:
It looks great just as it is! Done quilting. Now to bind...
Post a Comment