I decided each block needed a print that read "white" and a print that read "black." I folded each fabric in quarters to use as registration marks when aligning them to my pattern.
Here is layer one. I put down the white first and then the corals. One thing I experimented a lot with on this quilt was using different lengths of blanket stitching. When the fabrics are relatively plain I used a longer stitch and when they were complicated I used a smaller stitch.
On the photo below take a look at the outer pink stitching. The furthest out stitching is smaller in scale the stitching closer to the center. I'd never tried that before and I like the results.
For the second layer I added this pretty purple piece.
Here is the stitching from the back again. I used large stitches since the fabric didn't have a lot of detail.
Final flower! The last pieces were layer three. It was really fun fussy cutting the black print for the center of this flower. I had to double layer the peach because the green background fabric showed through it. I'm very happy with the final results.
The final back of the flower.
I hope you get to quilt today!
Good use of black and white prints. I used to collect them many, many years ago. There are so many interesting ones to choose from nowadays.ReplyDelete
I'm just loving these b&w prints with the surrounding colors! Looking forward to seeing more :*)ReplyDelete
Looks good Suzy and a perfect way to use your black and white prints!ReplyDelete