But really, I did this design a while ago on the blog:
Here's the link to how I designed it: Prague Posy Design Process
This design was based on a ironwork railing in Prague, Czech Republic.
I decided it was finally time to make the pattern into something. So I decided to make a simple table runner that I could have fun quilting.
This is as far as I've gotten. I started designing with the pink and purple fabric you see in the accent on the posy. I find it's nice to start with a two or three color fabric so you have a palette to work with. I also have decided that I need to use more variety in my greens, thus the lime and grassy greens above.
So far I have stitched the pink backgrounds and the greens. I used a 100 weight InvisiFil thread by WonderFil Threads for both of these. The darker green pieces I wanted to have a little more weight so I used a 40 weight Rayon thread from Wonderfil called Splendor. It's fabulous to sew with.
I also learned a valuable and surprising lesson when stitching these pieces. I had been free motion machine quilting and then switched to blanket stitch. I changed my sewing machine foot and put in a small needle since I was going to use 100 weight thread. I did, however, forget to change my throat plate from a single-hole throat plate (perfect for free motion machine quilting) to my regular throat plate which has room for the needle to move from left to right. This is critical when making a blanket stitch. As I was sewing along, I couldn't figure out why it looked like my needle was moving the fabric. I finally figured out that I hadn't changed the throat plate when I changed to the thicker 40 weight thread and actually broke my needle! The stitching around the pink pieces isn't perfect due to the needle moving the fabric, but it was good enough and I really didn't want to rip out double blanket-stitch. It's a pain. Ask me how I know....yeah, been there, done that.
Also, you can see from the image above that I will often sew across an area that I'm going to cover later (making sure the fabric to be put on isn't lighter than the thread I'm using....you can guess how I figured that out...oops!) so that I don't have to cut threads. This makes for quicker sewing and since I did the stitching between them in a simple straight stitch the line won't show through the piece nor add any bulk since it's 100 weight thread.
The dark green pieces above were also a new test for me. The width was 1.6 and the length was 2.0. I usually use the same width and length. However, which this thin piece a 2.0 length crossed over the center of the piece and I knew it would look funny. I am probably the only one who would ever notice that the stitches aren't the same width and length. I am happy with the results and will most likely do this again.
Post a Comment