I decided to play with a variety of paint colors for this block. The outer petals are burnt orange. The inner petals and pink halo gold and the swags on the inside are russet. All the paint is Lumiere acrylic paint.
This block reminds me off fall and the leaves we see during that season. I stitched the central petals in a gold to help the gold in them stand out. Then the innermost petals were stitched in a pink thread to match the dots in the fabric.
Then I decided to to stitch the outer red petals in yellow. There was yellow in the print, right? WRONG. I had to rip it all out because it was just awful and stood out wayyyyy to much. With the double blanket stitch that I use you must rip every stitch. Yes, you read that right. EVERY STITCH. I was a bit grumpy while this ensued and I discovered that my Clover seam ripper was worth it's weight in gold as it did a much better job than a generic one I had.
Finally I stitched those outer petals in a light burgundy so that they had an outline, but the thread didn't stand out. Lesson learned. Go with your gut and don't finish the stitching.......
Then the center pink dot was stitched in a light purple thread. I like the contrast, but it's not too much or glaring like yellow can be.
Oooh... I do like where you are going with this. I feel your pain with the ripping out business. I've pulled out rows from quilts on the long arm....not half as bad as a blanket stitch! I really like the thread colors you ended up with.ReplyDelete
Well it turned out gorgeous even though you had to take it out the first time.ReplyDelete
This is very exciting love the blend of two different mediums. Great texture and depth, I’m sure it is exciting and fun to play with, will try it one day. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Glenda. CReplyDelete
Beautiful! I really like that you're adding the paint. Ripping out.....not fun!!ReplyDelete