I love playing with fabric, but Block 2 gave me some trouble! I had picked out the main four fabrics, but couldn't figure out what colors the dots should be.
Here are three variations of the large dot:
I started with the dark pink with purple spots, but you can't really see it because it blends in too much. Then I tried the light orange that looks like a leaf. I like the color, but the pattern makes it too busy. So I finally settled for this last option, a light orange.
Now it was time for the small dot below:
I stated with the purple with a pinky-colored dot, but the pink dot stands out a lot and it's not where I want the focus of the block to be. Then I tried the light orange dot that is the same color as the top orange fabric, but it seemed too pale. So finally I settled for a darker orange dot which help tie in the red fabric.
Now it was time to stitch!
Block 2 was blanket-stitched with Glide thread by Fil-Tec except the red. The red is a FuFu machine embroidery thread a friend once suggested. It is not as silky as the Fil-Tec. The texture is much more bumpy, however, and it looks almost metallic in the finished product. It was fun to use and I want to try it again. The rest of the colors I own in this thread are blue....I see a blue flower coming up!
I also decided to use a pinky-purple thread to outline the outside pieces instead of a dark blue like the background of the fabric. It was blending into the dark gray too much and I wanted it to stand out more. The pinky-purple thread did the trick.