My inspiration for this project came from post-it notes I collected during a meeting. I then dug through my Island Batik stash looking for the right colors. I decided on the four below. The bright pink was really not in my stash, it's very neon. I decided this darker pink provided the right amount of contrast.
After playing around in EQ7, I decided on the block below. In retrospect, I chose to change my dark orange to one with less contrast because the pieces were going to be so small. This finished block is 3 inches square and those little squares are only 1/2 inch. I did decide to paper piece the oblong triangles to make sure they were accurate.
Here are the blocks complete.
And of course I started playing with how to lay them out.
Once I'd made my final decision I started thinking about how to quilt my project. Lines, feathers...hnm.
This was my final decision.
Here it is with the lines all quilted. I love how they add directionality to the piece. I chose to again use Hobbs silk batting in my mini. I love the way it drapes and I thought that property would be helpful in a mini to keep it flexible instead of stiff. I also chose to use my favorite Aurifil threads to quilt my piece. I love how they blend in to fabrics.
I decided then to do some feather quilting in the pink.
I love how it looks on the back!
The whole quilt quilted. I thought about stitching the oranges, but decided against it since the quilt is so small.
I decided to try something new on this quilt and use a 1/8 inch binding on this project. I also used bias and it worked PERFECTLY. I sewed it on with a zipper foot for ease.
Here's a closeup of the corner. AMAZING. I think I am becoming a bias binding convert.
I hope you get to quilt today!