Hello all! I am excited to share the directions for my Brick Wall quilt with you! I'm going to be practicing/introducing different free motion fillers for each brick as I work along.
I'll post the directions on the blog, but they're also available as a PDF if you'd like to have a paper version here.
Directions for Brick Wall Quilt Top - 44 x 54
©Suzy Webster 2016
(does not include binding and backing)
· 1 yard Dark Purple Mortar/Sashing (Blackberry by Island Batik)
· 7 Fat or Long Quarters (or more if you so choose) for the Bricks (I used Island Batiks Cherry, Flame, Jelly, Raspberry, Pumpkin, and Plum)
From each Brick Fabrics cut:
- · 3 rectangles 6 ½ by 10 ½ inches
- · 1 square 6 ½ inches by 6 ½ inches
From the Mortar/Sashing Fabric cut:
- · 21 rectangles 1 ½” by 6 ½ inches
- · 6 strips at 1 ½” by width of fabric
- · 5 strips at 3” by width of fabric
2. Lay 1 ½” x 6 ½” sashing pieces between the bricks. Sew each row together. Since my mortar was dark, I pressed towards the dark purple. If you use a light color, press towards the light color.
3. Sew the rows together with the 1 ½" wide strips. I cut these to size before I sewed them on. They should be 39 ½ inches long.
4. Cut two of the 3 inch strips to 39 ½ inches and sew to the top and bottom of your quilt.
5. Cut one 3 inch strip in half. Sew the two halves to each of the remaining 3 inch strips.
6. Sew one long strip on each long side of the quilt.
Here is the layout drawn:
7.Now you are ready to pin and quilt!
Let me know in the comments if you'd like advice on layering for the home machine! I'd be happy to show you my process.
I hope you follow along and I hope you get to quilt today!