The flowers for this quilt have ten petals and I knew I wanted them to be somewhat organic instead of perfectly symmetrical. I cut some out of white paper first to determine size and placement. The first silk I tried frayed a lot and just didn't work, so I switched over to a radiance fabric (half silk, half cotton) and it worked perfectly.
Final placement before applique.
If you've ever looked at passionflowers, you know they have these amazing purple tendrils. I decided the easiest way to create this feature of the flower would be to add paint. I pulled out my favorite Lumiere metallic paints and went to work. I love how they turned out.
All three flowers painted.
If you look closely at passionflower tendrils they appear striped. I didn't want to try to paint that so I decided to add silver metallic rhinestuds to the final project to get the effect.
Believe it or not there's even more in the center of these flowers. Stay tuned!
I hope you get to quilt today!
Wow!! this is gorgeous! the addition to the flowers just draws you eye right in!ReplyDelete